Post up

Case Study


UI Designer, UX Designer




Wireframes, Sketching, Prototyping,  Analyzing research


This project is a modified Google Design Sprint in which I was to complete in 5 days to practice how to rapid prototype and quickly gain product insights.


Bitesize is a startup company that lets freelancers and remote workers share tips and advice. They discovered that many of their users work in public spaces and want to easily find these places to work. They sat down and interviewed some people to find out what troubles they are having and what they are looking for.

View Prototype

The goal

To create a mobile app that will easily help remote workers and freelancers to quickly find places to work that fits their specific needs.

Day 1: What is the problem space?

They discovered that many workers are spending too much time searching for places to work when they would rather be focusing ON their work. There are some important basic features that most of the workers need such as wifi, outlets and bathrooms but sometimes it takes awhile to find this information. There is also the risk of not having any tables open, so workers want to know what the space looks like and when the place is busy. 

Day 2: Sketch

This day I conducted a market research analysis, processed what I liked most, then started to loosely design the main app function.

Pushing creative thinking: Crazy 8

This speed exercise helped me push creative thinking and not dwell on any small details. The goal was to come up with multiple solutions which would create a solid start to the design process.
The most important feature is the user finding the working spot that fits their needs so I explored that screen.

Day 3: Decide

Day 3 involved designing all the interactions of the user. I will be designing the start to finish of the most important function of the website. Based upon the interviews and research, the filter capability and helping users find a place to go as quickly as possible are the areas I wanted to focus on..

The focus of this application is feed so I wanted to incorporate lots of swipe interactions. I don’t want the user to need to open a lot of screens but instead be able to perform most of the actions on a single screen. So this included designing where to put the filters as well as the carousel of places that a user can swipe through to quickly find places.  

Day 4: Prototype

Design: My job was to quickly develop the prototype. I wanted to keep in between a wireframe and hi-fi prototype. I wanted to make sure the design looked flushed out and realistic so the user would have a more realistic interaction but at the same time simple so I can quickly finish the working prototype.


  • Does the user find the ideal place to work quickly?
  • Are the icons and filters clear?
  • Does the information page have enough information?
Day 5: Test
I tested the prototype with five different people. Two of the users do their schoolwork in cafes. Another person works in a building with no windows so likes to get out as much as possible and meets clients outside. Another user is a freelance illustrator who works in coffee shops. Another person does video editing for his cruise job. With each person I tested the same prototype and had them perform the same tasks.

I got the most feedback on the map page which is the most important page so I must address these issues in the redesign.

A:   Was not super noticeable to users so I will have to make it pop out more.

B:   Some of the icons were unclear, and since I don’t have text to go alongside it, it is super important to make them clearer

C:   Many people had to think and guess what the bar graph is, so I will be adding a descriptor for this section.

D:   Users were confused about having both a map icon and location indicator, and weren't sure which one does what. 

E:   Unsure of what this icon meant, most people assumed it was a settings menu, which it definitely is not so some descriptive text may be necessary

Clickable Prototype
Next Steps
If I were to continue the project I would make the design changes in a high fidelity prototype then do a second round of testing. The project was meant to span 5 days, but I spent an extra half day designing a high fidelity version of the location specifics screen.

This was a great project to practice quick decision making, rapid prototyping and analyzing interviews that I didn’t conduct myself. I felt like forcing myself to work faster resulted in stronger design choices since I wasn’t so focused on details but instead the bigger picture.

More projects